Re: [LUG] internet

alexfido@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Posted by "alex mclennan" <alexfido@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> please dont laugh

No-one is going to laugh at you - we'll only laugh with you, promise. We
do tend to mock those who clearly should know better - I expect you know
the kind of companies that would come under that heading.
;-)

BTW Sorry for any delay with your post.
:-)

> but i have downloaded fedora core 5 on another
> harddrive and because i havnt got a clue what i am doing i cant seem
> to put my talktalk broadband on.

OK, more information needed.

1. Is this a broadband modem or router?
A modem generally connects via USB and means that no other computer can
access the internet unless the computer connected to the modem is on.
A router generally has at least one ethernet network port and allows any
computer on your home network to connect to the internet whether or not
any other computer is running. A router also means that any computer can
connect irrespective of the OS used, as long as the OS can understand a
local network connection, it'll be able to connect to the internet.

2. Please explain how you got to the head of the queue for talktalk
broadband as others on the list are waiting . . . .
:-)

3. If you answer "modem" to Q1, are you ready to be pilloried (gently)
for choosing the wrong option?
:-))

Always choose a router over a modem. So what if it's "free of charge"
with the connection, if you can't use the £$^* thing with your new free
software OS it isn't much use! Modems are cheaper because, like internal
dial-up modems, the manufacturer only has to make half the hardware. The
rest of the functionality is done by a bespoke software driver that they
only write for Windows. A few support Mac OSX but not all.

> when i run fedora it is on its own
> as the other drive is disconnected which has got windows xp (£1.00
> for swear box).please help.alex

This definitely sounds like you've got a modem. Bad! Ditch it and get a
decent connection. If you're in Plymouth, I have one looking for a good
home. I was going to raffle it at the next DCGLUG meeting.

--

Neil Williams