Re: [LUG] Linux for kids

Kelly Jones wrote:

> That looks excellent but i was looking for something for very young
> children at a playschool that i do some work for!
>
> On 10/07/06, *Kelly Jones* < terrabytecomputing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:terrabytecomputing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     That looks excellent but i was looking for something for very
>     young children at a playschool that i do some work for!
>

>     On 10/07/06, *Rob Beard* < rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>         Kelly Jones wrote:
>> can anyone point me in the right direction for a Linux distro
>         suitable
>> for young children?
>         Not sure if it's been already mentioned, but there is this...
>
>         http://www.ofset.org/freeduc-cd <http://www.ofset.org/freeduc-cd>
>
>         Rob
>

>         --

Hi Kelly,

I think you are looking for specific applications that can be used by
young children rather than a particular distro, most of the distros will
have (or support) apps like Gcompris, tux paint, kturberling (Mr Potato
Head ) ksokoban, kturtle and a whole host of other things that fall
under the banner of Kedutainment that come from the "KDE stable", and
thats just off the top of my head......

If you don't want to install before you try the freeduc-cd is a good
choice, other live cds with education / children in mind include
edubunto, which is ubunto with an education focus. I havent tried that
one (yet), its on my todo list, along with persuading the head teacher
at my son's primary to try free software, some mountains are very hard
to climb !

But no matter what distro you choose you will find flavours of the same
things. For very small ones I would try Gcompris and tux paint first.
What is really missing (IMO) is a good child focused multimedia word
processor, there was a project once but I think it died or at least got
mothballed.

Im afraid its a case of sorting through the options and finding what
works for you and your environment.

Happy hunting :-)

P.S could we persuade you to stop "top posting", traditionally we prefer
replies at the bottom so the post proceeds cronologically  (for thoes
that are new to the thread).

Tom.