Re: [LUG] [OT] The Vista Experience with Office 2007

Simon Waters wrote:

> Probably a fair number of people in the GLUG have the skills (or
> aptitude to learn said skills, I'm sure Robin does) to take the bloat
> out of a whole host of common free software products, but for the few
> seconds it will save them each day personally it probably isn't worth it
> for them.

I'm *very guilty* of bloat myself. A particular project at work springs
to mind been working on it since 2001 and it is real *bloatware* I have
rewrote large sections and cleaned things a bit but it is truly
shocking. Time is a large factor as you have pointed out Simon, I just
don't have enough hours to fix it up. But i stick firmly by the lack of
planning and management have lead to bloat, mostly my planning and
management :-)

> I could spend three or four days weeding 30 or 40 MB out of the memory
> footprint of Thunderbird (probably need a few days extra to familiarise
> myself with build tools and such like), or I could buy an extra 256MB of
> RAM for a minuscule fee. Bloat is down to simple economics.

Well just sometimes somebody gets an itch and patches something up like
this. Some people do really have this level of pride in their code and
other people just like tinkering. This is something that is only
possible with open source, as the code is out there for the world to
see, criticise, use  and update.

Robin