Re: [LUG] OT: Heat

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 07:31:45AM +0100, Tom Arrow wrote:

> >My computer overheated for the first time this year earlier this month (65
> >degrees on the CPU) and the side panel has been off the case ever since.
> >

> Pah! Earlier this week my CPU was at 92. (ok it was my fault.)

92? That's cold.

Fri May 19 23:59:01 BST 2006 temperature:             117 C

That's the kind of thing you want. That was the last entry in my
temperature log until 12:22 the day after.

I've got a shuttle that is running arround 60C at the moment, about 5C more
than normal, however it's a P4, with a heat pipe, into the only fan in the
system. It's also got a HDD thrashing away recording video (although not at
that time of night!), and an MPEG2 encoder.

The fan stopped at 20:31. Temperature was 54C.
By 20:40 it was 72C, 10 minutes later 81C, 90C was reached just after
9PM.

At 21:22 it hit 100C, and didn't drop.
over 2 1/2 hours later it was still running, hitting 117C at 23:57. I
got home about 1AM, it had turned itself off, but the *case* was still too
hot to touch.

Replaced the fan when I got home. I'm hoping that acpi isn't reporting
a fully accurate temperature. Components still working fine 6 weeks
later.