Re: [LUG] [OT] The Vista Experience with Office 2007

On 05/07/06, Robin Cornelius <robin.cornelius@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 July 2006 12:33, Ben Goodger wrote:
> > Microsoft software does that; open-source software doesn't.
> This is a classic case of where opinions differ - mine differs to yours in
> this respect. I do believe some open source software suffers from bloatware.
> I don't need to rubbish you or your opinions I just disagree.

I don't think that open-source or proprity software has aything to do
with bloatware (or the ability of a project to become bloated). Its
all down to managment or the lack of it in a project. If a project is
misconceieved or mismanaged it can be come bloated and run out of
control. There are numerious pros and cons here for both sides of the
argument but it fundimentaly comes down to design and managnment which
is independent of the open/closed model of development.

The one thing about linux and prehapse this is more generic to unixes,
both properity and free is the fact that everything is layered much
more that it is under windows for example. This tends to lead to small
to the point command line apps that "just do a job" these are often
extended into a GUI project by a GUI wrapper being written.  Things
are built on other things. The windows development model is that
eveything is pretty much wired up and down to the kernel, IE for
example is pretty hooked in there, there are not really clean lines of
seperation and this tends to lead to massive projects that are
bloated.  I suspose with the *nix model of developement many small
apps and features may be developed but these can die a natural death
if not required/ crap where as features built directly into a larger
app tend to linger in there if not required any more (unless someone
efficient and organised is looking after the source code). But this is
not to say that *really* bloated projects cannot be done under linux
its all down to managment!

You never heard of Microsoft's "special relationship" with Intel then?

from the Windows 95 source code:
  say("It will run on a 8086 with lightning speed due to"
" the 32 bits architecture");
inform(INTEL, "Pentium sales will rise skyhigh");
inform(SAMSUNG, "Start a new memorychip plant"
"'cos all those customers will need at least 32 megs");
inform(QUANTUM, "Thanks to our fatware your sales will triple");
get_big_bonus(INTEL, SAMSUNG, QUANTUM);
Sad, but so far as I can tell, true - every hardware upgrade I have ever made has been to support Windows better. I also doubled my RAM to a gig to speed up Inkscape, but that's it, linux-wise.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382