Re: [LUG] Offtopic: Re: Windows "kill switch"?

I was thinking more "phone them up and they don't ask for the serial number, the twats" but your way is better. :)

On 30/06/06, Tony Sumner < tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jun 29, 2006, Ben Goodger was like:
> Activation does not prevent one from using one copy on multiple
> computers so long as they are not identical, allegedly.

There are two files wpa.dbl and wpa.bak that hold information on
the hardware configuration. If you want to re-install Windows XP
you can take copies of these files and copy them back in after the
installation and that gets round the 30-day cutoff. So it would
be easy to run two copies on machines with identical hardware.
It should be easy for someone to work out how to edit the file wpa.dbl
so that you could get it to accept any hardware configuration and
then WPA is dead.

Tony Sumner

Ben Goodger
#391382