Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Superfast internet cafe launches]

David Bell wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 June 2006 13:29, James Fidell wrote:
>
>> I've only got a 512K ADSL connection, and I had to pay BT to have a new
>> pole installed, dig 120m of trench, lay the cabling and persuade them
>> to change the exchange I was on.
>
> In 1962 that would have been 5/- a yard for trenching, 10/- a yard to backfill
> and 30/- for a pole.  Perhaps it is a little more these days ....  :-)

The trenching and backfilling cost me a case of wine to the farmer next
door, the ducting and cabling I did myself (and BT gave me those at no
extra charge!), but I could have got a decent two-week mediterranean
holiday for what it cost for the pole and installation :(

James