Re: [LUG] SUSE 10.1 Rocks but Windows gone

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 09:36:31PM +0100, "Philip Radford" wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have just installed SUSE 10.1 OSS in order to dual boot with Windows XP.

A good first step

> XP is on the first partition and SUSE installed onto free space which I made
> available on the same drive.
>
> All went well or so I thought until I discovered that the Windows entry on
> the SUSE (GRUB) boot menu does not load Windows. It just sits there with the
> message "chainloader hd(0,0)+1" and does not go any further.

I haven't dual-booted with windows since 2000 came out, and never with grub, but
that looks like it should work. Are there any other error messages before the
chainloader line (file errors etc?)

> I love SUSE 10.1 and everything works so I do not want to remove it.

Excelent

> Therefore I have installed GRUB to a floppy disk so that I can boot SUSE in
> the future and tried to remove GRUB from the MBR in order to restore the
> windows boot process.

Floppy, whats a floppy?

> I tried to remove GRUB by booting from the XP CD, entering recovery console
> and performing the classic FIXMBR and FIXBOOT. But whatever I do GRUB will
> not remove itself from the MBR.
> I have also tried FDISK /MBR from a Windows 98 Boot CD.

I believe "fdisk /mbr" loads a simple bootloader that passes control to
the first sector of the active partition. Check fdisk and see which
partition is active. I assume you only have one hard disk.

> This has always worked like a charm in the past. Where else could GRUB have
> put itself? and how can I remove it using tools within SUSE.

If grub is in the boot sector of a partition (/dev/hda2 for example),
and you are booting that partition, then you'll find grub. Changing the
active partition to the first one (hda1) should cause grub to
"disappear"

I could be a long way off, as I said I haven't had windows on my
computers for 6 years. Found this elsewhere, to go in menu.lst,
which you could try?

title Windows NT
     root        (hd0,0)
     makeactive