Re: [LUG] Installing XChat 2.4.6 from source

Julian Hall wrote:

> I added
>>> deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ sid main

I meant you should generalise the approach, not use the Debian settings.

I specifically said don't mix and match distributions.

> to my sources.list then did a rebuild.  After that I tries apt-get
> build-dep xchat and got the below:
>
> /home/julian# apt-get build-dep xchat
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 33 not upgraded.

You may now have all the dependencies, or there may be issues with the
approach, such as mixing the distributions.

> So it didn't seem to do anything.  Would I be better off installing an
> older version of XChat (which I have) and getting apt-get to try and
> upgrade it?

I don't think you've said why you want the latest xchat, but apt will
only get the latest version from the repositories listed (which should
all be from your distro if you want a sane life).