Re: [LUG] Running programs that require a terminal - without one.

Hi Dan,

I'll give it ago tommorow (its a bit late now)... I've tried it from the command line and it looks like it should work with my scripts.

Any more ideas are also welcome!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Jody

Daniel Prisk <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:33:20 +0100 (BST)
jody salt wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Is there anyway on linux of running programs require a terminal -
> without one?
> I'm trying to run lame - from a system("command here") function in
> php, to resample mp3s, because I want my website users mp3s to be
> automatically resampled as they upload them. The lame command works
> fine from the command line - but not from a standard system("command
> here") function even with absolute paths. It does seems a bit daft to
> have program like lame doesn't have this ability.
> Is there a command that goes something like:
>
> pseudo_terminal [your command]

Have you tried screen? If you use the '-d -m' options then it should
launch the screen session in the background. If you start it with a
specific command then it'll exit when it's finished running. So you'll
want something like: 'system("screen -d -m lame $lame_options")'. Also
might be useful to add a name to the screen with the -S option
(something like the users login name?) so you can easily see what's
doing what when you look at the screen list (screen -ls).

Dan

--
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'
Salvor Hardin