Re: [LUG] NHS IT upgrade set for criticism

On 6/16/06, tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Julian Hall writes:
>
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5084596.stm
>
> I've just been reading David Craig: "Plundering the Public Sector", about
> various IT disasters. He is especially rude about Choose and Book
>
> Tony Sumner

Slightly off-topic, but still about NHS planning and spending.
Because there was a suicide attempt (hanging), the NHS has apparently
kitted out every centre for at-risk youths with special door handles
and coat hooks that cost between £80 (hook)and £150 (door handle)
each.  The youth centre I see has about 10 doors and 10 hooks.  For
all the purpose-built facilities, it shows me that there wasn't decent
planning or assessment carried out, and that article seems to
stipulate just that but strictly at the IT level.  I reckon the
problems their IT infrastructure have, are apparent in many other
aspects of the NHS.

Kevin