[LUG] Promoting Linux & Software Freedom day

Hi folks,

A couple of us from the LUG (Tom Brough, Paul Sutton, myself and Tom
Potts) have been looking into promoting Open Source software in Devon
and trying to come up with ways of getting people to look at Open
Source software.  So far things are going slowly, I guess because of
our other commitments.

I've been looking around the Ubuntu site and found a link to a site
promoting the "Software Freedom Day". URL:
http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/StartGuide

It seems the Software Freedom day will be held on 16th September 2006.
They have information about starting local teams.

I thought with the delays with Vista, maybe we should start actively
pushing Linux.  A good start I figured would be to order a load of
Ubuntu CDs (I was thinking at least about 1,000) and then distributing
them around newsagents, charity shops, computer shops and amongst
friends, family and work colleagues.

Anyway, I thought the Software Freedom Day would be a good target date
to have some sort of event.  It gives us about 3 months to get
something organised and promoted.

Is anyone else interested in something like this?

Regards,

Rob