Re: [LUG] File Servers

Richard Brown wrote:

>Hi Malcolm and all
>
>On Friday 02 June 2006 13:15, M.Blackmore wrote:
>

>>A p450 declocked to an energy saving 200 with a pair of fairly new sata
>>250gb disk drives hanging off a couple of cheap cards (generic chipset)
>>does fine with suse 9.3 for a small network of half a dozen machines.
>>

>Thanks for all the replies. One last question. I have taken a look at
>overclockers.co.uk and seen this:
>Adaptec AAR-1210SA SATAConnect Serial ATA Controller (CC-012-AD)
><http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_SATA_RAID_424.html>
>Is this the sort of thing that I need to be able to connect sata hard drives
>to a machine that only supports ide please? Is there a recommended hard drive
>out there!
>
>On the backup side of things I already have a 250 gig firewire drive so I
>simply intend to set up a cron job to do the work overnight!
>
>Thanks

To be honest, this card from SVP would probably do the job @ £15, and if
you're local to Paignton, you can even pick it up from their warehouse.

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1245

To make things simple, fit a Firewire card (about £15 again) to the
server and then as you say, get a cron job to backup the data.  Might be
worth mentioning though, from experience, external hard drives don't
last forever.  My 160GB USB2 external hard drive lasted a year and then
the drive crashed.  The drive was on 24/7 and was a Samsung make.
Funnily enough, I had an identical Samsung drive in my desktop PC
running 24/7 and that also died after a year.

Rob