Re: [LUG] Removable hard disk

Neil Stone wrote:
> Simon Williams wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> I'm upgrading my server soon and will probably be getting a removable
>> hard disk bay. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about hotswapping
>> these (it'll be IDE).
>> Google gives some mention of it on the kernel mailing list, but only for
>> 2.4 and 2.5, and it doesn't say whether it's stable or how to get it
>> working.
>> Does it work on 2.6?
>> Is it stable?
>> What about the BIOS' hard disk management?
>> Can I take a drive out and put a different one in?
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> (I'm surprised I couldn't work this out myself- I've done a lot with the
>> ultrabay on my thinkpad(s)).
>
> well first off the drives would need to be hot plugable, also the drive
> bays... the bios should know how to do this too... it's not as simple as
> you may think..
>

> however, doing this on usb.. thats a different matter.. its easy..

I was thinking of doing it using USB, but I've only got USB 1, which is
far too slow. I don't have any free PCI slots either.

I'm getting the impression that removable IDE hdd caddies are somewhat
useless- you have to power off the system before doing anything with it?
I guess IDE really wasn't designed for this anyway.