Re: [LUG] OT: Ebuyer

Julian Hall wrote:

Keith Abraham wrote:

Never had any problems with Ebuyer stuff over a similar period.
Admittedly I only buy "named" equipment, never stuff re-badged
as Ebuyer's own.

I've also been buying from Ebuyer for a couple of years. My current PSU is an Ebuyer own brand. Also had a four port router with built-in print server. Never let me down and it is now still in service with a friend since I went to WiFi. Never had any problems with kit bought from them. With re-branded stuff it's always an idea to try and find out who the original OEM is. The router was an Origo and worked fine.

Kind regards,

Julian

(moved this from the original thread as it was confusing me and the subject no longer applied :))

Yup, eBuyer's own brand stuff is usually pretty good. Most of the own brand stuff is from OEM companies in Taiwan etc. I recommended a friend buy an eBuyer own brand ADSL router which turned out to be made by a company called Edimax. I see Edimax are now selling 'branded' equipment.

I've also found recently that some of the 'branded' equipment isn't always as good as you'd imagine. I've been trying to find a decent wireless router over the past week. I've tried a Linksys ADSL wireless router (currently on offer at PC World for about £50 with PC Card adaptor) which was rock solid on the wireless but the internet connection slowed down to 2k/sec. I then tried a Belkin router which the wireless connection kept dropping (tried it with Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux on 2 wireless laptops with the same results). Yesterday I got a 3Com wireless router kit for £60 from Staples. Turns out it is a rebadged version of the Belkin router in a different case. The firmware was the same apart from the branding saying 3Com rather than Belkin. Alas, the wireless was the same, always dropping the connection.

I've figured now I'm going to try a Netgear router which I have been recommended by a couple of people.

In defence of Linksys though, I also bought one of those Vonage Linksys routers (3 port router with 2 phone ports for VOIP from Vonage) and it works really well. I also have a Linksys wired router from when I had Telewest and again that works flawlessly.

Rob

-