[LUG] intermittant resolver issues

Please can anyone give any clues where this problem might lie?

We have been running a wired cat 5e 6 computer heterogeneous network at home for the last 5 years. All has been great. We have a LINUX server running DHCP and DNS services amongst other things , a couple of hubs and a Linksys WAG 54G ADSL modem/gateway.

We are recently getting intermittent problems with DNS seemingly unable to resolve addresses.

There appears to be nothing unusual in the system journal even with the DNS trace level set fairly high - no mention of address not found or anything appears there. Rebooting individual hosts, the router, the entire network has no effect.

Once connected to a site, it would appear that we can continue to work - this implies to me a DNS problem - once the address is cached it would be available but the thing I cannot understand is the fact it is intermittent - as far as I was aware, a DNS works or doesn't.

The symptoms vary in duration and times of occurrence, there is no correlation with network usage.

Any pointers would be appreciated - I am beginning to think it may be a hardware issue in the router or even the server running DNS but before I start hacking everything about, just thought I would ask.

Thanks

David

PS I know everyone says this - but nothing has changed that we are aware of - our server has not been altered in anyway - not even patch updates for probably 18 months!

-