Re: [LUG] Advice - Root Log-in

Rob Beard wrote:
Not to mention, doesn't KDE give you a bright red desktop if you login as root?
Not always. It did when I was using Mandrake, but not in Xandros. Both times I was using KDE, 3.1 on Mandrake and 3.3 (I think) on Xandros. Maybe it changed, or Debian/Xandros altered a config file somewhere. What KDE *does* do is warn you with a kroot warning (I've just realised that's probably short for K root - duh! :)) telling you to log out unless you really want to use KDE as root.

It also makes things more secure. For instance with Windows, usually the user who sets things up on Windows is given administrator rights. Anything the execute (either intentionally or by accident) also has access to the entire PC.
Yep. Win 2K at least allowed you to specify *which individual users* had access to individual shares, in XP it seems to be Everyone or no-one which is useless.[1]
On Linux on the other hand, if you run a rogue script or something as a standard user, I'm guessing the worst that can happen is it can trash your home folder or directories that you have read/write permissions to?

(More experienced lug members, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here :D)
No idea but then I have less experience than you do :)

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] I'm open to correction on that if anyone knows how it's supposed to be done - off-list if you like as it's a Windows not Linux issue).