Re: [LUG] meeting enquiry.

Gary wrote:

Hi guys, sorry I'm pretty new to the list (been signed up less than a
week!!) and I've probably missed much of this conversation but ...

... I work as a Network/IT Technician for a relatively large local college
(E.D.C in Tiverton) and I think holding some kind of event to promote open
source software, and it's potential uses would be a GREAT idea.
I've slowly been turning around my colleagues and more importantly my boss
to the ways and benefits of OSS and an event of some kind - maybe even with
attendance from someone from one or two of those Linux companies mentioned
in other emails - would be of great use.

If enough people were interested in attending and we could get a few people
to give talks, I don't think I would have any problems in convincing my boss
and the college I work for to provide meeting space for free and maybe even
food!
Only downer would of course be that it would have to be during the working
week and the travelling distance for some people on the list (maybe?)

I don't know, I guess if this appeals to anyone you'll let me know?

Hi Gary,

Welcome to DCGLUG

As an ex-student of EDC I would only be too happy to come along and talk about GNU/Linux. Just to fill you in I took the 2 year BTEC "computing" course there many many years ago when Year 2 projects where done in COBOL (Yer all right I can hear you all sniggering in the background :-) 286's and windows 3.11 ooh networking ) . Is Mr Edwards still there? I expect he has retired by now.

Mostly into recycling old computers to schools in 3rd world countries using LTSP .... only too happy to come and talk about that particular branch of GNU/Linux, actually I owe the college a big favour since I got my first job through my second year placement, which gave me access to HP/UX which in turn was a stepping stone to GNU/LINUX.

Tom.