Re: [LUG] running commands as daemons or detached processes

jody salt wrote:

> I'll see how qmail goes before I make any judgments on it.

Once you get it working it works fine (but then so do most MTAs) -- it
was just the effort to get it working, and the effort to change the
configuration when something extra was needed (and recompile, repatch,
resolve new patch conflicts (yawn)).

> However, I chose qmail because its very secure i.e. no hacks reported
> after a $500 and $10000 prise. And also if its good enough for yahoo!
> its good enough for my little operation.

The original prize applied to the the default qmail source - this
doesn't even compile under GNU/Linux -- so good luck claiming it. They
didn't pay out for the pointer/integer type mismatch issue.

Certainly the prize doesn't cover the code base you are using, Postfix
goes along the implement new functionality in a secure fashion route,
but with an appropriate ongoing level of testing and review.

I'd put Postfix up against a heavily patched qmail implementations on a
security shoot out any day. Sure the base qmail package is probably more
secure than Postfix, but most people want more from an MTA than it provides.

My Postfix install from Debian packages are covered by the Debian
security updates - so should there ever be an issue (none so far since
I've deployed this in anger on several email servers) I'll automatically
get the updates delivered, and ready to install with one command. Does
your qmail implementation offer that sort of security service? I'm
guessing none of the DJB software you are using offers this type of
service, because to do so would likely thread on the license (such as it
is) that covers the code.

Gimmicks aren't necessarily all they seem.

Please also make sure your qmail instance isn't a backscatter source.

Hopefully someone already fixed your source.

http://zgp.org/linux-elitists/200511051641.42360.shlomif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx