Re: [LUG] Apache DNS an resolving both externally and internally

Kevin Tunison wrote:
> Hello all,

> When I enable virtual hosting all is fine internally.  The port forward
> seems to not work when I have virtual hosting on, in that the webmail
> server (https) is not accessable, instead http traffic appears (our
> website).

Hi Kevin,

Is the problem that when you access the https webmail site with virtual
hosting enabled that you are not requesting the website by a domain name
and end up just getting the default virtual host on the system (the
first one listed).

Ie you need to access the server via an address such as
https://squirrel.mydomain.com *even* if squirrel.mydomain.com resolves
to the public ip of the gateway. That way when the gateway forwards the
(https) request the header contains squirrel.mydomain.com and apache
knows which virtual host to serve.

If you do set up  squirrel.mydomain.com to resolve to the public ip of
the gateway then this must only be done on the external DNS servers, on
the intranet set squirrel.mydomain.com to resolve directly to the web
server on the local network. This way users use a consistant method to
access the site either local or remote.

Probably got the wrong end of the stick here and misunderstood the
problem :-)

Regards

Robin