Re: Noisy phone lines [Was: Re: [LUG] ISP - Recommendations anyone?]

James Wonnacott wrote:
Here's an interesting one:-
My 'phone stopped working last Tuesday- but my broadband connection is still up. An engineer came to look at it on Thursday and told me that one wire in the pair was broken. When I said that my broadband still worked he said that was possible because it only uses one wire. this still didn't satisfy me and I pointed out that in my experience the flow of a current requires a complete circuit. He maintained that the broadband connection uses only frequency...... but surely it is the frequency of the current that flows in the circuit???????

Anyone got any knowledge on this ???????

James (puzzled)

BTW the phone still isn't working, but the broadband is fine :-)

Hmmmm I thought ground was the return and in the case of phones I think they use "The Earth" as the ground line.....