Re: Noisy phone lines [Was: Re: [LUG] ISP - Recommendations anyone?]

I used to have a really noisy phone line in my last house but everytime the engineer came he did something to the junction box on the road and it went away for a couple of weeks then came back. after moving here I had the same problem but that was due to all the filters I had being duff (even my spares so i didn't think for a moment it was them!). ----- Original Message ----- From: "James Wonnacott" <jwon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 7:59 AM
Subject: Re: Noisy phone lines [Was: Re: [LUG] ISP - Recommendations anyone?]

Here's an interesting one:-
My 'phone stopped working last Tuesday- but my broadband connection is still up. An engineer came to look at it on Thursday and told me that one wire in the pair was broken. When I said that my broadband still worked he said that was possible because it only uses one wire. this still didn't satisfy me and I pointed out that in my experience the flow of a current requires a complete circuit. He maintained that the broadband connection uses only frequency...... but surely it is the frequency of the current that flows in the circuit???????

Anyone got any knowledge on this ???????

James (puzzled)

BTW the phone still isn't working, but the broadband is fine :-)