Re: [LUG] Help Please - Web Publishing Tools

David Bell wrote:

> Using Sarge and want to design a fairly simple web site, which will include
> graphics, and won't cause non-IE users to either grit their teeth or worse.

If you design the site to standards, it'll pretty much work in Konqueror
and Firefox, and Opera, and Safari, then all you need to do is make it
work in IE <sigh>.

> Amaya and Bluefish installed.

I don't think Amaya will help much :(

It is interesting, but I find it totally unusuable for real things, and
its implementation of CSS is years behind, despite the heritage. Good
for playing with things like Xpath, but otherwise an oddity.

Install Firefox for checking the pages look right.

> Not looking for a <how to> -  just recommendations as to which, as a complete
> numpty tyro, to use.

Guess you want a Bluefish tutorial then, or if it is too complex try
Mozilla suite, as it has a composer which simple to use.

> I have a couple of library books on the subject - M$ Windows application
> orientated; as can be expected :-)

I have a copy of "DHTML for the WWW" which I picked up for 30 pence in a
charity shop -- it is dated, but not MS biased, and explains most of
what you might want to know about CSS.

Of course this all assumes a lot about the kind of site you are planning
to write -- what is it -- you sure there aren't tools out there to help?