Re: [LUG] Bristol Council moving to StarOffice

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2006/02/23/bristol_migration.html?page=2

> >and thought.. 'if only cornwall county council had a fraction of that clue'.
> >
> >Bristol of course, has frozen council tax, while Cornwall County
> >Council has yet another rise of over twice inflation...
> >
> >I wonder how much Devon and Cornwall Council would benefit from moving
> >to Star/OpenOffice..
> >
> >I've heard all kinds of second hand rumours about their IT competance,
> >and what I've seen of them makes it entirely believable that they are
> >wasting a fortune.

> Actually in some places Cornwall is ahead of the game
> http://uk.sun.com/sunnews/success/public_sector/22.html.

Ah, Penwith Council. I very nearly ended up working there.. would have
been good if it wasn't such a long drive and paid a bit more.

They are far better than CCC - they actually acknowledge job
applications for a start, the people I met there about 8 years ago,
when I interviewed for a job there straight out of college, seemed
pretty clueful.

> HOWEVER please note carefully :-
>
> I am free software advocate.
>
> Im also a council worker.
>
> Please restrain you comments as you will not win over hearts and minds
> to free software model if you continue to accuse  the very people you
> are trying to convert of being lazy. You are not doing the free software
> community any favours here ......

That would be much easier if I wasn't paying excessive council tax
because of greedy councillors, and lazy or poor management at Cornwall
County Council.

Of course there are hard working and competent people there, but
reading the papers and hearing from people within the council and
working with the council it's all pretty depressing, and looks more
like a gravy train every year.

A.