Re: [LUG] LILO - timestamp mismatch

On 23/02/06, James Wonnacott <jwon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a mandrake 10.0 box which gives the above error on boot.
I've googled and found a lot of stuff about sata (which I don't have)
and SCSI (which I don't have) Its just a plain old Seagate barracuda.
Any ideas anyone?

This is caused by the time at boot being before the time at which the files were modified (it was for me, at least.) It shouldn't cause any problems, but usually indicates that your BIOS time is set incorrectly. If you correct it and it happens again on next boot, your CMOS battery is probably flat. You'll find it near your CPU, probably standing erect, on the motherboard. They cost about £2-3 in most reasonable shops, inc. Maplin. The flattening may have been caused by your computer being turned off at the mains for a long time. Try to keep it plugged in even when it's not being used, as it only uses a watt or two to keep the CMOS ticking over (and thus doesn't drain the battery.)

--
Ben Goodger
#391382