Re: [LUG] OT(ish): UK holds Microsoft security talks

On 15/02/06, Robin Cornelius <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Trusted Computing isn't designed to protect against malicious programs
> > at all - it is purely about ensuring there is a trusted channel
> > between your hardware and the content providers, for copyright
> > protection.
> >

> Very similar in application to the HDCP (not dhcp!) then ?.
> HD TV from blue ray to the tv display, unless your TV/Monitor supports
> HDCP then you can't watch full resolution high def films as its endpoint
> to endpoint encryption? Is there not also hell up about nvidia graphics
> cards with HDCP support? if you buy an OEM and fit it yourself (and also
> fit the correct MB etc) the HDCP chip will not function, it will only
> work IF the PC was built at a *trusted* i presume manufacture.

Thats exactly the kind of thing we shouldn't be allowing in the EU
(not point trying to fight a losing battle in the USA), I wish the EU
would stand up to US Media (which is almost exclusively behind this)
and make such restrictions on purchased media unlawful or at least
protect any means to work around it.

It does infuriate me that I can't watch original Hong Kong Cinema in
chinese, and have to put with bad dubbing in a choice of languages,
same for Anime - at least when my little brother was in Thailand he
was able to come back with DVDs in original Japanese and Chinese
without bad dubbing and 10 minutes of IPR bollocks, and adverts that
you can't skip.

At least a couple of countrys in the EU have put their foot down on
this, shame or shamelessly dodgy government values Hollywood fat cats
above consumers and won't do anything to upset them.

A.