Re: [LUG] Powercuts

Thanks

Thats probably it,  all working now.

Paul

Neil Williams wrote:

If people have noticed downtime with systems in the Plymouth area, it's because there was a powercut. Not sure how widespread, but I'm only just back online.

Paul: that could be why you were disconnected from the flashtek-uk.com server - I'm guessing but Neil S. isn't that far from here.

Thankfully, my UPS kept the systems intact - although it was disconcerting that the network switch isn't on the UPS so a little switching of network cables was required to shutdown the headless box cleanly. In the end, my UPS could probably have sustained the systems until the power came on but you never know how long that might take.

Note to self: Put the workstation monitor and the network switch on the UPS!
(It shows you how well you know the OS when you can shutdown *safely* without any power to the monitor.)
:-)

--
http://www.zleap.net
http://www.openoffice.org