Re: [LUG] BIOS Error

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 09:40, Julian Hall wrote:

> Where is LILO (or Grub) installed to?

Thanks Julian

I am not sure, Mandrake is on the first hard drive, debian on the second.  I
can not remember the order in which I installed them.

I am trying to remember what happens on boot.  This is what I think happens.
The computer looks for a bootable disk or whatever, if it is the hard drive
it reads the first chunk (boot sector?) and "goes to" where it is told to. It
then reads that bit, which in our case is the boot loader, and "goes to" the
bit we select.  (I am deliberately trying to keep this non technical as If I
use the wrong terms only confusion will follow!)

I will dig around a bit and see what I can find out on the machine.

> It seems that if the bootloader is 'too far' into the disk the BIOS
> can't find it.  I always install it to the MBR of the first partition
> so that's likely to be why I've never seen this error.

But how did it work before?  I am sure I have not altered anything (and my
cheque is in the post!!)

Thanks again

Peter