Re: [LUG] default keymap

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> With help from flash (neil Stone) I have fixed the auto connecting to
> the internet,  I am now trying to fix the default keymap,  at the moment
> I have to
>
> goto a console
> su to root
> type loadkeys Uk
> exit root, and the console window
> do ctrl-alt-backspace to restart x
> log back in  this then means that when i type shift 3 I actually get £
> which is what I am supposed to get

Distro might be handy, as I think it varies.

In Debian...

 dpkg-reconfigure console-data

> defkeymap.kmap, however in /usr/share/keymaps I get a few
> subdirectories,  amiga, sun,  i386,  as I have a duron 1600, I go for
> the i386 option as that maches my processor architecture, etc,
> I then goto qwerty,  and in there get lots of gz files,
> from here I am stuck

Any sane distro would probably put a copy of the live keymap in /etc
somewhere. Debian does it by loading the keymap explicitly on boot, but
that may be an architecture thing, as there are a lot of "if not a
powerpc" type blocks in the script that does it.