[LUG] Palms and Gentoo and Kernels

HI,
I'm trying to make my palm sync with my gentoo system. As people at
the meet will know I needed the 'visor' module that could not be found
anywhere. I found it in the kernel make menuconfig after a bit of
digging so now if I recompile the kernel with that checked as M.
Before I used genkernel for a generic thingy but as all I changed in
the config was the PDA visor module it should be no different should
it? I'm making the kernel now and assume it will have a different name
to the one made with genkernel. So I can just have another entry in my
grub conf so I can then try the kernel im making but still go back to
the old one right? So copy some lines in my grub.conf and change the
kernel name and initram it points to right?

Dosen't seem very clear to me as a n00b but im sure it will work out.
Just if I got anything wrong please tell me before I break it again.

--
Tom (the younger)