Re: [LUG] ubuntu and root

On Thursday 19 January 2006 9:19 pm, David Johnson wrote:
> On Thursday 19 Jan 2006 21:07, Paul Sutton wrote:
> > anyway I booted into ubuntu, to see if I could print from there, and
> > could not mount c: where my document was.  as I had to be root,  I tried
> > to su as  root then remembered that I did not set up a root account
> > during install,

?? What do you mean? You didn't set a root password? All distributions create
a root account - all the installer wants from you is a password for root. You
get the option to not create a user account in some but I don't see how you'd
end up without a root account at all.

What happens when you DO type su?

> > plus I remember someone saying that by default normal
> > users are part of the wheel group,

The wheel group is nothing to do with printing.

> > anyway how am I meant to get root
> > priveledges on a ubuntu box.?
>
> Type 'sudo -s' to get a root shell. The password is your user password.

Only if sudo is configured that way, it might be on Ubuntu but it isn't in
Debian by default.

--

Neil Williams