Re: [LUG] Mounting NTFS

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:21:17 +0000
Kelly Jones <kellyjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A friend is having problems mounting his Windows partition in suse 10,
> we have created a mount point and given the mount point 777 permissions
> but when we mount the ntfs partition the permissions change back to read
> only for the owner (root)
> Is this an ntfs specific problem or something else?
> Is it still not advisable to write to an ntfs volume?

Have you tried specifying the RW option in the mount options?
# mount -t ntfs /dev/partition /mnt/ntfsfiles -o rw

Also, I have seen a little tool that allows you to use Windows' own NTFS drivers to
mount from within Linux, thus allowing much safe write access.  I forget what it's
called, but it's included as part of the INSERT 'rescue' CD.

Grant.