Re: [LUG] Promoting GNU/Linux in 2006

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:38:25 +0000
Tom Brough <tombrough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Having "recovered" from Christmas, and realised that we are already 1
> week through the new year (so a bit late for new year resolutions) I
> would like to challenge all of us to the big question "what are we (the
> D&C GNU/Linux Community) going to do to promote GNU/Linux & Free
> software in 2006?".  Personally I'm fed up of hearing that 200? will be
> the year of GNU/Linux etc... etc... Lets just make GNU/Linux mainstream
> at least in Devon & Cornwall.
>
> My suggestion is a computer fair (free software orientated if possible),
> but this needs sponsorship of some sort and I'm the last person you
> would want to organise one of these events.
>
> Ideas in an email please.
>
> Tom.

Me personally?  I will be teaching a bunch of 17+18yr olds about Linux.  Sure the
course is "operating systems" and the main body of the course is aimed at OS
theory... but what better opportunity to get some more people hooked?  I will also
be pushing a bit harder for the College to run specific Linux courses - not entirely
altruistically, you understand :D.

Grant.