Re: [LUG] Re: Kernel parameter help

Neil Stone wrote:

init=/bin/sh

good plan, didn't work... looks like part of the initrd is calling
/etc/modules.conf, without the initrd line the system can't find /dev/hda
*groans* i think i may have to stick a CD drive in this box...

Did you build a initrd when you built your kernel?, if i understand the process it allows kernel modules to be avaiable at kernel boot time before harddisks etc are up but without staticly linking the modules to the kernel. Normaly you should do this after building a kernel for example "mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8 2.6.8" and have an initrd line in grub/lilo. I have caught my self out this way before as well.

Do you have a floppy drive, or can boot from a USB stick? you should have all the tools you need within 1.44M :-)

Robin