Re: [LUG] [OT] Introducing myself to the list

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 15:22 +0000, Phil Gibbons wrote:
> Hi,

Ho back! I'm an "out of area" list member - we were going to return to
the ancestral grounds (note the surname!) last year but chickened out
for a few years when we realised how hard it would be to run our small
property company from that distance with pre-school and young school age
kids ... so I lurk from rural Oxfordshire, where we moved in the
interim. How many remote lurkers are there, I wonder?

One day we will arrive in Devon or Cornwall - and thanks for the beers
in that interesting pub in Helston summer before last with a couple of
the lads.

As a family (sister and her kids and us) we are establishing a pattern
of regular family hols in the Coverack area and will be down that way
towards easter as well when the days lengthen. So perhaps, when I am off
that way, I can time it to be around when there is a dcGlug somewhere
within range...?

It's odd turning into a typical Cornull grokel for the
spring/summer/early autumn, but such is economic reality. My family was
a classic emigration from north Devon/Cornwall border area in the late
19th century, settled after various adventures in Canada, and I and my
sister both ended up back in Blighty in the 70s (met English partners
and never got back). So when we are well enough found economically we
will be returning out "west". How many returners have generational
links, I wonder?

Perhaps, with the growth of communications based economic activities,
prosperity will return to the atlantic peripheries. Then, perhaps not
and they will once again become utterly marginalised at the end of the
world, lost in their mists...