Re: [LUG] Router/Modem ?.

> On Sunday 18 December 2005 7:33 pm, Jondavey wrote:
&gt; Hi, I've just set up a dual boot Windows and Mandrake 9.0 system. I
would
&gt; like to get on-line with Mandrake and use Windows less (been
threatening to
&gt; do this for years) but my internal modem won't work in Mandrake.

If it's an internal modem, that'll be dial-up - the connection where you
have
to dial-out on an 0845 or SurfTime 0840(?) number, gets lots of noises and
then connect.

A router will NOT dial for you.

&gt; I recall a
&gt; fair amount of talk on here about the benefits of using a router rather
&gt; than a modem for your connection,

... the benefits of using an ADSL router rather than an ADSL modem for your
broadband connection ....

Nothing in that discussion related to dial-up users.<snip>
IF you have broadband, get a router to *replace* the ADSL modem that is
commonly attached via USB.</snip>

If you do not have broadband
>I don't have broadband<
(but it is in your area)
>I'm not exactly sure if it is available in my area<
, get it and don't be
swayed into getting a modem in the first place, insist on a router.

If you cannot get broadband, forget the idea of a router and buy an EXTERNAL
modem - <snip>.
>This is what I need I think, thanks for the advise.<

Neil Williams