Re: [LUG] CD Label printing on Epson R200 printer?

Rob Beard wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I'm pretty certain I've read on the list before that a couple of you
>guys and gals have got Epson Stylus Photo R200 (or even the R300) printers?
>
>I've recently migrated over to Ubuntu Breezy (AMD64).  Everything is
>going well this time, I can run some of my old Windows programs under
>Wine, I can get my e-mails and with that VMWare Player I can still use
>my MiniDisc (well I'm assuming I can, I haven't actually tried it yet :-D)
>
>Now one problem I'm having is printing CDs and DVDs.  As you may or may
>not know, the Epson printers come with a program called Print CD.  It's
>a fairly easy to use program which allows printing of covers (including
>inserting scanned covers).  I did a bit of searching on Google and found
>that someone managed to get CD printing working with GuttenPrint 5.0 and
>Gimp 2.x using the CD Cover template.
>
>Okay, so I've installed Guttenprint 5.0 RC1 which compiles nicely under
>Ubuntu.  I've installed the printer and found there is an option for
>printing to CD.  So far so good.
>
>When it came to creating the label in Gimp I started having problems.  I
>opened Gimp and managed to import the cover.  Being a bit of a newbie to
>Gimp, I can't seem to make the cover bigger.  It will print although it
>won't fill the disc, it just prints very small!
>
>I've tried a couple of different applications in hope that it would work
>(OpenOffice 2.0 & 1.1.5, AbiWord, Scribus etc) but none of these
>programs seem to come up with the entire cups configuration options for
>the printer (so I can't select print to CD, or the quality etc).
>
>Has anyone else successfully managed to print to a CD under Linux?
>
>Rob

Okay, after a bit more playing, I've managed to create something in
scribus which is about the right size, the only problem being that it
only prints a fraction of the label.  I'm guessing that I need to
position the image on the paper better.  Can't find anything to tell me
how to get the position right.

Rob