[LUG] GNU/Linux on iPAQ

For those who might be interested, I've just completed an installation of
Familiar onto a HP3900 iPAQ. (Yes, Grant, the one I bought on Tottenham Court
Road after Expo.)
:-)

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/wiki/?id=view/dist-reviews/misc/4

It's not so much a distribution review at the moment, more of a set of notes
to pad out some of the areas of the existing documentation that I found
difficult.

I'll be bringing the iPAQ to the next meeting.

See the review for details of network connectivity - I don't envisage being
able to connect to other PC's at the meeting without some detailed network
config work (and likely an internet connection) on those PC's but bluetooth
should work. If someone wants to try it, I'd recommend a Debian box with
ipmasq downloaded (but not installed) as we don't have an internet connection
in Paignton.

Anyone know how to share a LAN connection over bluetooth?
:-)

GPE is the Gnome-like desktop for Familiar, which in turn is a Debian-based
(aren't they all?) GNU/Linux distribution under the GPL for the PocketPC to
replace WinCE. IIRC, it's also available for the Zaurus.

It runs a genuine linux kernel, it has iptables, ipv6, ssh, the apt-like ipkg
and various Gtk utilities:
Calendar, Contacts, Time Tracker, To-Do list, Image Gallery, Text Editor
(gedit), Othello, Sokoban, Tetris, Minimo (aka embedded Mozilla browser), VLC
and a calculator.

I'm aiming to add some more software to handle the same kind of data as my
Palm (gpe-expenses) and to provide a data update path from my palm data. It's
also possible that GPE could host an embedded version of gnucash - gpe-cash.
Hence why I chose GPE (which is like Gnome and based on C and Gtk) rather
than the more eye-candy / KDE approach of Opie which uses C++ and Qt.

--

Neil Williams