Re: [LUG] Athlon 64's

On Saturday 29 Oct 2005 09:34, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> How can i take advantage of an athlon 64 processor.
>
> >From what i can make out the Athlon 64 is a extended i386 instruction
>
> set so i presume there are a whole buch of 64 bit instructions avaiable.
> So if i compile my kernel with the athlon 64 processor selected the
> kernel can take advantage of the 64 bit instructions. Thats well and
> good but is there much in the kernel that will benifit from 64 bit?
> there are no floating point operations in kernel space, may be some data
> transferers can be more efficient and in reduced clock cycles?
>
> Its the apps and especialy number crunching/data processing that should
> benifit the most. I can't see any debain athlon64 sources so i assume i
> am stuck with i386 unless I want to compile everything (gentoo?) and i
> quite like debian and how things run at the moment anyway.
>
> In general terms the processor and MB change has made my linux system
> much faster even without 64 bit instructions. Linux still booted after
> the mb/processor change and I have a couple of small issues to do with
> hotplug/udev but everyhing is good now. Windows on the other hand went
> ape, it blue screened with in a second of attempting to boot, i had to
> run a recovery cd on XP to get it working again and now it seems to run
> even slower than before!
>
> Robin

There are several live 64 bit CDs - Kanotix64 for example - which allow you to
try out the 64 bit systems.
My own experiments with 64 bit distros have been very short lived. I try them
out - see no real difference - and go back to my own distro.
Like any other distro, it depends what you want I suppose. If you have a
generic i386 type distro, then any optimised distro will seem quick by
comparison - regardless of 32 or 64 bit architecture.
I use Yoper ( which is 32 bit, i686 only, with pre-linking and other go faster
goodies) on my machine, and also a i686 optimised Gentoo built with similar
go faster goodies. All the 64 bit systems I have tried - installed, rather
than from a live CD - have been no better than these two. And - more
importantly from my point of view - the issues with libraries have caused
problems for me as a gamer.
I believe that those who do a lot with graphics and multimedia - cameras,
ripping, DV etc - see a benefit, but I don't do enough of that sort of thing
to notice.
Like you say Robin, just the fact that you have a powerful processor seems to
be the biggest benefit I have seen. My own Athlon 64 and 1gb of ram make a
huge difference to my work - mostly packaging stuff as rpms etc.  The
"64bit-ness" is not something I have bothered with for a while. I still have
Slamd64 ( a Slack based distro) on here on another partition, but can't
remember when I last booted it.
Just my own view of course - others with needs which 64 bit really excels at
may have a different view.
I still think a good optimised 32 bit distro will compete with 64 bit as it
stands today.
Mark