Re: [LUG] tftp question (long) - solved

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:48:50 +0100, dave morgan <morgad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:18:00 +0100, dave morgan <morgad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>
>>Many thanks to all for a fascinating meeting last night.
>>
>>I am trying http for the first time to netboot the Debian installer
>>for the new webserver.
>>
>>I have been attempting to follow the recipe at
>>http://roland.entierement.nu/index.php/archives/2005/02/16/debian-on-soekris-howto

[snip]

>and now it boots :-)
>
>(although the display is corrupted - all characters come back twice on
>2nd stage boot, then I end up with a blank screen!)

This turned out to be a missing line in the instructions linked to at
the top.

Deleting the debian-installer/i386/pxelinux.cfg/ directory and
replacing it with the debian-installer/i386/pxelinux.cfg.serial-9600/
version cured it.

Minicom worked as a terminal emulator, but I only got black/white
screen, and all the fancy boxes came out with weird characters.

Using gtkterm I get full colour screens and menus - much nicer

Now to fit a hard disk to the box ... and write all this up on my web
site, so they don't waste a couple of hours on this.

best regards
Dave