[LUG] Beware suse 10 upgrade

Hi each and all
I am having a lousey time up-grading fron suse 9.2 to suse 10.  After the fist
upgrade I could not log into the system at all.  My second attempt was a new
install. This went better but I am now unable to connect to the internet.
I have set name servers
I can successfuly ping localhost, the computers name and it's ip address
Ifconfig looks normal
...................But I can't ping the router or any other location.
What am I over looking.
Any help or suggestions gratefuly received
All the best to all
Aaron