Re: [LUG] APT & NFS

On Saturday 08 October 2005 1:09 pm, Ben Goodger wrote:
> Can APT be configured to use NFS repositories?

An apt repository is just a directory tree that contains debian packages and
index files like Packages.gz, Sources.gz Release etc. that contain cached
data from the available packages.

Any filesystem that can be used by http:// or ftp:// will do. Each filesystem
has it's own advantages - ext2 is by far the most common for this job, ext3
could be used. Apt doesn't need any configuration to do this.

> I am looking to build a school's enterprise linux which was originally
> going to be built on RHEL until I decided to switch to ubuntu.

So why NFS? Ubuntu can use ext2 like any other. The disadvantage with NFS is
any internal delays from network round trips.

A repository is not private data, it's just as easy to put the entire
repository on a box in your DMZ, make that a subdomain under DNS and use the
subdomain as the repository name.

So instead of www.foo.org which has an internal NFS mount of
debian:/opt/packages /opt/tree then accessed via the top level foo.org server
(www.foo.org/tree), put the packages on an accessible box and use www.foo.org
for the WWW content and www.debian.foo.org for the repository.

--

Neil Williams