Re: [LUG] Securing SSH

Philip Radford wrote:
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with configuring and securing the SSH daemon from unauthorised access. I have recently discovered that my server was being targeted by a dictionary attack via SSH on Port 22 and therefore got me thinking about ways to restrict by IP address or even not to use remote SSH login via the root login at all and access the server via alternative means.

Anyone got any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Philip Radford

You might want to have a look at this http://security.linux.com/security/05/09/15/1655234.shtml?tid=35. It has some interesting ideas.

But in common with other repliers I would not allow root login via ssh. Or, in fact, allow root to log in using any method. Using the public key type login is sometimes good, and satisfying to set up in a geeky way.

Tying down the ip address from which you can log in from has massive security advantages. That is until you have to log in from another ip address, for in the case of a emergency, then you are shafted.