[LUG] Debian users - help your favourite packages

Just a heads-up on a Debian topic that is (IMHO) overlooked.

There's a little utility in Debian called popcon - popularity contest - it's
part of the Debian Quality Assurance program for packages:

 It sets up a cron job that will anonymously
 e-mail the Debian developers periodically with statistics about your
 most used Debian packages.
 .
 This information helps us make decisions such as which packages should go
 on the first Debian CD.  Also, we can improve future versions of Debian
 so that the most popular packages are the ones which are installed
 automatically for new users.

Note that this is real users that are counted - developers like me load our
own programs all the time but from our own build trees, not the packages, so
my use of Gnucash (e.g) doesn't show up.

It would be nice if more people used popcon - there seem to be quite a small
number of people contributing to the stats.

It requires no input from you other than a single debconf window on
installation.

--

Neil Williams