Re: [LUG] Charles Clarke

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:59:58 +0100 (BST)
John Palmer wrote:

> Having read the newspaper reports of the Home Secretary's doubts about his
> anti-terrorist bill, as revealed by erasures in his letters to opposition
> counterparts, I'm not clear if these represent in any sense an insecurity
> in the software he uses.  Does anyone have any information about this ?
>
> The incident reminded me of the well-known fact that MS-Word .doc files
> may contain hidden passages of text that the author thinks he has deleted
> from the final version.  It doesn't seem to be quite that, though.

I don't know the ins and outs of the document format (*does anyone?*), but
"officially" (well, according to the MSOffice course specifications) the only time a
MSWord document should contain deleted passages is if the author has saved previous
versions of the file (using the File->Versions menu option) or has enabled "Track
Changes".  Just going by what you've written, it sounds more like T/C than Versions.

Grant.
--
Unix:  Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it once.