Re: [LUG] Epson printers on idle and Mozilla with CUPS

Neil Williams wrote:
>My printer (Epson Stylus Color[sic] 660) is used but twice a year. Once to
>print out my tax return and once to print out business cards before Expo.
>
>This year, I printed the tax return in monochrome because the colour version
>was a PDF and they often print badly (especially as I can't print anything
>via any Mozilla app anyway). Despite numerous appeals from others elsewhere
>that PDF is *the* way to print, I find them poor because you aren't printing
>text but an image of text and the small print is completely unreadable.
>
>When I came to print the business cards (OOo), the Debian swirl came out a
>blushing pink instead of a crimson red.
>:-(
>
>Can the (colour) cartridge on an Epson be changed BEFORE it runs out?
>(The button that you use to change the cartridge is the same as to clean the
>print head. If the "empty" light isn't flashing, it doesn't stop to allow a
>change of cartridge. I suppose I'll just have to cut the power!)
>
>Does anyone know how to get Mozilla to work with CUPS - it seems to only send
>Postscript which gets dumped as a text file of ps instructions. It offers no
>option to use CUPS.

Neil,

My Epson 460 allows changing the cartridge before it is empty. Simply
hold down the form feed button and the print head moves obediently to
the loading position.

Chances are Epson may have used the same mechanism on later printers.

Worth a try, anyway.

Regards

Chris