Re: [LUG] Using Synaptic

Ray Smith wrote:
OK I have tried to sudo synaptic but that tells me that the user I am
trying to run it at as is not in the sudo list. Is this the same
thing ?

Basically yes they do the same jop, but I'd expect recent Debian based distros to have "synaptic" as a menu option. This should use gksu (or kdesu), to automatically prompt for the root password, and then just open the application with all the windowing settings sorted.

i.e. If you click on the menu item for synaptic it should prompt for root password, and "just work".

If you type it at the command line you need to understand how X windows security works.

I just use "apt" - who needs X to be working to get software installed? There is a good discussion of relative merits of the different tools for managing Debian packages at debian-administration.org.