Re: [LUG] Problems: Ethernet and GRUB

Chris Hawkins wrote:

> And secondly they all have a 3 com EtherLink III ISA 10Mbps network
> cards, so old they were made in Ireland not the far east!! However
> Linux's fabled network card greatness failed me, Debian had no idea what
> they were. And I could only see an EtherLink II in the extra modules
> list. Again anyone?

You may have to specify the ioport, and interrupt when loading the ISA
driver if they aren't the default for that card (read those jumpers
carefully).

I'd replace the card with a PCI network card if there are any spare PCI
slots.

We have 10/100 PCI ethernet cards just lying around at work (well
actually most of them are in the "spare network card" box), so it is far
quicker to switch the card, especially since you have to open the case
(and often remove the card) to read the jumper settings.

ISA always did suck whatever OS you use.