Re: [LUG] Default mysql user name and password

Peter Walker wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:

? There's confusion here. I'm talking about the packaging user created in the user table in MySQL itself that provides access for the installation helper.

Yes, I think that is where the confusion arises. The original question
was about changing the root password in mysql. This has got nothing to
do with the packaging user (debian-sys-maint) refered to by Neil.
debian-sys-maint does have a password which is auto generated by the
installer and is stored in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf. If you change this
without updating the config file it will probably break lots of other
installs that try and use it.

The root user is standard mysql though and must be made secure if you
expect anyone other than yourself to use the host computer. The links
Neil provided give a good overview of mysql security and how to change
the root password.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/default-privileges.html

As far as I know mysqladmin uses the same access methods as other mysql
clients and allows you to specify both user and password so to be
pedantic the command would be

mysqladmin --user=root drop productiondatabase

Setting a root password would prevent this.

Cheers,

Pete

Ah yes. It does appear that we all singing from the same song sheet, just starting in differnt places. I was, having never used debian, unware of this packing user. But all the stuff after that recommended by both Neil and Pete

Wills