Re: [LUG] Installing a web server

Neil Williams wrote:

> # ls -l /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/
> 000-default -> ../sites-available/garfield

There are some tools for making these symbolic links.

Basically for Mambo from a minimal Debian install, I'd expect something
like;

apt-get install apache2 libapache2-mod-php4  php4-mysql
(hopefully these have the obvious dependencies?!)
a2enmod php4 (if not in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled

I believe the default site is enabled in "/var/www" not "/var/www/html".

So untar the Mambo package in /var/www, and point the browser at the
relevant install page on localhost
"http://localhost/installation/install.php (or whatever it is called, it
was a long time ago I did this.

When I did Mambo on Redhat I did need to tweak the PHP settings on
Debian this would be;

/etc/php/apache2/php.ini

> Putting your files in /var/www/ or similar was always a dirty hack approach.
> The "right" way to do it, even with Apache1, was with virtual hosts.

On the other hand if you only have one site - although "/var" is a weird
place for a website.

> P.S. The thing that is easy with Debian is installing packages and their
> dependencies. Configuration is quite another matter. Apache2 is installed if
> it runs at all. If it doesn't show the files you expect then it's the
> configuration that needs to be tweaked and if that involves user files (as a
> website does), you can't really blame the installer. Some packages will
> install such files and ask the user where to put them or where to find them
> but Apache is one of those packages that will tend to require some knowledge
> of the configuration before it can be useful.

In some ways the new Debian way with Apache2 makes the learning harder,
it is more obvious when there is one big config file, rather than lots
of includes.

However having separate files does make it easier to automatically
extend the functionality, as additional websites can be added as a
"file" to a directory, rather than by editting lines in a file.

Having got use to the directory structure, I think it makes life easier,
especially when you want another site just like one you already did, but
under another domain name.

It occured to me part of the problem with "/etc/apt/source.list" is that
it isn't (yet) split into several files - expect it to happen for the
DCC - where there will be a "Debian" section, and one or more
"customised" section (I hope).